Dr. Hirmis M. Aboona Scholarship (Now Closed)
Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Student Union (ACSSU) has established the Dr. Hirmis M. Aboona Scholarship. This scholarship is a way to honour the legacy of the late Dr. Aboona. Born in the Assyrian village of Alqosh in 1940, Dr. Aboona later moved to Baghdad with his family and obtained his degree in law at the University of Baghdad. In 1982, he moved with his family to Exeter England and obtained his PhD in History and Philosophy at University of Exeter. In 1988, Dr. Aboona once again immigrated to Mississauga, Ontario where he lived until his passing on April 27th, 2009.
Dr. Aboona had a passion for Assyrian history which inspired him to write his PhD thesis entitled Assyrians, Kurds and Ottomans. His passion also led to his writing of a concise history of the Assyrian people in a 12 volume series.
Dr. Hirmis M. Aboona was also an active member of the Canadian Assyrian community and a supporter of ACSSU. This scholarship is named in his honour to continue his legacy and inspire Assyrian youth to emulate his passion in Assyrian studies.
Founded in 1999, the Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Student Union (ACSSU) of Canada is an independent, not-for-profit student organization dedicated to encouraging higher education within our community, promoting our heritage, and raising awareness of human rights issues. Currently, ACSSU has branches active at McMaster University, University of Toronto, Ryerson University, Brock University and York University.
Description of Scholarship
One $1000 scholarship will be given to an Assyrian (also known as Chaldean or Syriac) student who has been admitted to or is continuing post-secondary education in a Canadian institution for the 2017-2018 academic school year. This includes both colleges and universities.
- At least one parent of Assyrian descent
- Must be a permanent Canadian resident, Canadian citizen, or possess appropriate paperwork indicating ability to study in Canada
- Application form with all applicable fields completed
- One original unofficial transcript or report card (of the most recent completed academic year, 2016-2017) scanned and submitted with the application to email@example.com
- Must be enrolled in and have proof of full-time studies at a post-secondary institution for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
- Academic Performance: 25%
- Application Form: 25%
- Extracurricular Activities (e.g. volunteer work, sports teams, clubs memberships etc.): 25%
- Contributions to the Assyrian Community: 25% (presently, and in the future)
- Final date to submit application: August 31st, 2018
- Evaluation of application by ACSSU scholarship board: September – October 2018
- Scholarship applicants will be informed on their status by: October 1st, 2018
Applications will be reviewed by the ACSSU Executive Committee and will be evaluated based on a weighted average system. The applicant with the highest overall score will be awarded the scholarship.
The scholarship will be forwarded directly to the educational institution to be used as a tuition payment. The payment will be made the day after the deadline to drop courses set by the educational institution during the 2018-2019 academic school year.
Form can be filled out and edited using the following https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9wSv94SSfMZbHZ7EesZCZwHRrqBBhqJs2lcGMD_akMNXtkg/viewform?c=0&w=1